Monday, October 5, 2009

Birdies

I have finally organized myself to screen print at home! It’s so exciting!

My first home-made screen prints are of my bird design which you have seen evolve over the last few weeks. I have been doodling these little birdies all over the place so it’s great to see them printed as I had envisioned.

Although I have got my screen, my squeegee, my hinged board to hold the screen still and fabric to print on there was still, I am afraid, a fair amount of swearing involved. While most of my printing went really well I didn’t have enough table space set up to easily rest the fabric with wet ink on. This resulted in most of my beautiful prints (which I had felt quite proud of) folding over on themselves and smudging. Oh well, a lesson learnt. I have a plan in my head for next time which will involved trestles, an old door and a card table – and very little space in the room around them.

I couldn’t help myself, I had to post a load of pictures. Check out the t-shirt I printed, its an old one in case I ruined it, but I think it turned out alright!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! I'm so impressed that this was your first attempt. I could just see myself with ink oozing everywhere--your images are so crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made myself a screen a couple of weeks ago but haven't yet got up the courage to try it out. Having seen your results, I'm definitely going to give it a go. What did you use for ink? Fabric paint? Thickened dye? Screen printing ink? I'm not certain which to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your prints are fantastic Pippa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE JOB! I do like the birds - a lot. I agree with Jessica, they are super crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your lovely comments! These weren't my first ever screen prints, they're just the first I've done at home unsupervised;). I took a short course a couple of months ago but was a bit nervous doing it alone.

    Amanda - I used permaset fabric paint. I'll email you some more info within the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Pippa, they are totally awesome! They look fab. I would love love love to learn how to screen print! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete