Monday, September 21, 2009

Putting patterns on fabric

(Or at least trying to!)

This is what I did on Sunday.

I wanted to spend this weekend screen printing, but I hadn't collected everything I need for it, so I had to make do with alternatives.

My first few attempts were pretty awful. I'm sharing anyway.

I tried leaf prints - here are some blobby nasturtium prints:

Photobucket

Then I used a stamp made from an eraser which I quite like, even though the printing is very... unique.
Photobucket

I also tried lino cuts mounted on wooden offcuts. I tested them on paper with a different ink but the fabric version shows bits I need to fix on them both. I learnt how hard it is to get a consistent print in this way!

Photobucket

So I gave up on the stamping idea and tried a stencil - I used contact to cut a similar stencil to one that I intended to screen print. The results were a lot better!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I like how the colours go with the background colour of the material. I was also glad that I could use this stencil so many times, unlike freezer paper /photocopy paper wrapping. But I am definitely looking forward to getting my screen printing gear ready!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Pippa the red and yellow birds are lovely! Will you be bringing them to Owls Wednesday? I'd love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bird print is beautiful! The others look great too, but you're right, block printing isn't satisfying when what you want is solid flat colour....

    ReplyDelete